Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Thing 2.0: What is Library 2.0?

Library 2.0 is an effort to continue to make the library relevant. It describes a concerted effort to utilize powerful social networking tools that are already being widely used to market and maximize library's effectiveness and services. As I work with students, it is particularly important to teach them the responsibilities inherent in being a polite, contributing member of a digital, virtual world just as we teach them to be respectful, contributing members of their physical communities.
Where will you find the time? I always make time for learning. I am just thankful for the structured way of approaching tools I have only observed and interacted with as the audience member. It is exciting to be on the "inside" wielding them as the performer.
How has the Internet and the vast resource it can be affected your use of time at work and/or at home? As a younger person, I literally can't imagine life without the world wide web. I use it several times a day (hour?!) for a variety of purposes (professional -- teaching tool, way of connecting with colleagues; personal--managing finances, information seeking, recreation planning)
Where are you in your knowledge and use of Web 2.0 tools? How about your library? I understand them in principle and use those available through our school. Unhappily, our school (like most) blocks many Web 2.0 tools.

1 comment:

SAMMIE said...

Welcome to 23 Things on a Stick. You have a great start! I look forward to following your 23 Things. Robin