Sunday, March 9, 2008

Thing 7: Web 2:0 Communication Tools

Describe how your library uses email. Has it improved productivity?
Staff and parents do use email for library related business. Students (the majority of my patrons) don't engage with me over email. I find it a little ironic to ask if email improves productivity as it unquestionably is a valuable tool, but sometimes it also feels like a time drain as there are so many to read.
Share your thoughts on online reference using some of the other Web 2.0 communication tools.
I have been on the receiving end of online reference as I personally prefer to use Hennepin or Minitex's online reference over phone reference. In elementary school, reference is a smaller component of libraries.
Are you an active user of text messaging, IM, or other communication tools?
I am not currently a very active user of text messaging (I don't like to pay for it) and IM. Since IM is blocked at school (and I am very busy), it is not a choice there. After working 10-14 hours in front of the computer, the last thing that I want to do in the evening is go home and IM. There have been periods of my life where I regularly IM'd; I am definitely comfortable with it.
Which OPAL or MINITEX Web conference (Webinar) did you attend? How was it? What do you think of this communication tool
?
I completed M.O.R.E. this summer and have participated in Minitex's OCLC webinar. I learned a lot and was amazed at the wide range of experiences and localities represented. It is wonderfully convenient!

No comments: