Friday, April 11, 2008

Thing 14: LibraryThing

How can you use LibraryThing for your library?
I read an LM-Net post about http://www.librarything.com/catalog/authors4kids a way to limit it for children, both to minimize the overwhelming aspects and to be sure to be recommending books appropriate for them.

How else do you share booklists, etc. with library patrons? Would LibraryThing offer an alternative?
Our school is into Scholastic Reading Counts (let's not start the debate about the merit of reading books and quizzing on them here!). To facilitate the use of that program, I subscribe to QuizList, which allows users to look at pre-made lists as well as to create their own using criteria. On my library website, I direct readers to other library's websites where there are excellent book lists. I find that unless the book list includes the cover art, it is not as used. This is a feature of LibraryThing I find particularly attractive.

Along with several of my friends, I have participated in www.goodreads.com for a few months. I find that has more value as far as recommending or not recommending books. LibraryThing seems to be more a list of what is available without a specific reader's judgment.

No comments: