Friday, April 11, 2008

Thing 15: Online Games and Libraries

I was more drawn to Puzzle Pirates but was blocked from both it and Second Life from school. Puzzle Pirates required some application to run so I viewed several videos relating to Second Life instead. Gaming has a huge draw with a significant sector of the population. To reach these patrons, libraries can and should enter in. I firmly believe that gaming can be harnessed for powerful learning. The difficulties that I personally face though are a slow internet connection and an inability to meet many software requirements. My guess is that others, particularly in rural areas, face these same limitations. For some, online gaming is a positive way to recreate, participate in a community and engage in experiences not available to them in real life. On a negative side, I have personally known several young men who were obsessed with virtual online worlds/gaming in an unhealthy way (literally resulting in admittance to the psych ward). As we work with young people, online gaming is not a substitute for human community interaction and exercise. It might be interesting to create a virtual community in my area with opportunities to imitate/engage in similar activites in real life meeting those virtual characters. I also wonder how ethics are taught to community members. Sometimes anonymity (or perceived anonymity) allows participants to behave in an unseemly manner they wouldn't employ if interacting in person.

No comments: