Saturday, April 12, 2008

Thing 18: YouTube and Other Online Video

Our school blocks YouTube and promotes TeacherTube instead. In January of 2008, I read an interesting article published in the New Yorker "Twilight of the Books" that lamented the shift from a print-based world wide web towards a "television-like" web.

What did you like or dislike about the sites you explored?
I watched the "March of the Librarians", which I think was filmed last summer when the ALA conference was in Washington, DC, but I am not sure becuase the video didn't really state. Despite watching it twice, I did not find a fellow MN librarian. I also watched IT vs. Librarian and several others.

Why did you choose the video that you did?
The video that I embedded was a cute kid-friendly commerical for using the library. Very elementary school-esque....I am interested in creating similar clips with my students.

Can you see any ways to use video--YouTube or other sites--on your library Web site?
Our school places limitations even on images because of storage space concerns and video takes even more space so at the present, I don't have permission to add them. I have been talking with my principal about having video editing equipment readily available and would like to make a short promotional video for our school.

No comments: